Welcome back to the BUZZ Roundup – keeping you in touch with news and events in our wonderful village.
Remembrance – always deeply moving – is especially poignant this year, and things will be a little different even here in our quiet little corner of Wiltshire. There will not be a door-to-door collection, however poppies will be available with Laura at the Post Office in the Village Hall on 3rd November, from 2-4pm. In addition, Pauline Bennett will be in her porch at 26 Pyatts Corner today Wednesday 28th and tomorrow Thursday 29th October, 2-4pm.
The annual Thanksgiving and Remembrance Service at St Leonard’s, when the names of those no longer with us are read out and remembered, is this Sunday 1st November at 9.15am. Everyone is very welcome to this lovely service, and if there is someone whose name you’d like included, please let Janet Hopkins know by Saturday: firstname.lastname@example.org
Remembrance Sunday is next week 8th November – gathering around the village war memorial at 10.45am for a short act of remembrance including a period of silence and the laying of wreaths. SOCIAL DISTANCING will be observed. All are then invited to the church for worship.
- It’s Food bank Friday this week, so if you have any donations, leave in the collection box in the church porch by THURSDAY afternoon. According to their Facebook page they would love some Christmassy items such as cakes, selection boxes, tinned chox, sweet and savoury biscuits, tinned hams etc…
- If you want to sign up for the SMARTWATER security liquid pack offer available via NHW, you’ll need to let Paul Lenaerts know by this Friday 30th October.
- The upcoming Parish Council Meeting on Monday 2nd November 2020 at 7.30pm (via Zoom) has a packed agenda: Agenda for November 2nd 2020 – 1. Joining details are on the agenda, or the village website here. Comments for public forum are warmly welcomed, and should be sent to the clerk no later than Sunday (24 hours ahead of meeting).
- Eric Lepine’s French Pop-up Takeaway will be parking up outside the village hall from 5.30-7.30pm on Saturday 7th November with a mouthwatering two-course set menu £12.95 per person, orders must be made in advance – all details here.
- The MOBILE LIBRARY is back! on Monday 9th November 10.35am outside Rose & Crown Cottages on Stocks Green.
- The Walking Group are back out for an easy circular 4.5m walk through footpaths, bridleways and fields on Wednesday 11th November, meeting at the Poplars in Wingfield. Group size will be limited to 15 so if you want to walk, email Geoff West on email@example.com.
Using fireworks safely and considerately…
This time of year can be a lot of fun, but also extremely stressful for pets, livestock and wildlife, not to mention the considerable number of thatched homeowners here in Keevil, so do be thoughtful when making any plans. The RSPCA has great advice for animals here, and Dorset & Wiltshire Fire & Rescue have good safety precautions here, and general advice here for thatched cottages. It’s worth knowing that most insurers of thatched properties place a moratorium on bonfires and other incendiaries within 100m of the property.
Those of you with an interest in planning matters will probably already be aware of the governments Planning for the Future consultation on proposals for reform of the planning system in England (closes tomorrow ). Wiltshire Council discussed their response at some length during their meeting last week (see item 9), and it seems clear there are both positive and negative considerations that could impact our village in the future.
A consultation on more immediate changes to the current planning system closed at the beginning of October. The response below from the National Association of Local Councils (NALC) on this white paper makes useful reading, and they will be publishing their response to Planning for the Future shortly, according to this article,
There are some further details and links on Keevil Parish Council’s website.
That’s all for now – find us on Facebook for real-time discussions on Keevil Village, marketplace on For Sale, Free or Wanted in Keevil, or wander down memory lane on Keevil Memories… thank you for all your support, and if you have any news, pictures or stories to share, don’t hesitate to get in touch
Bob & Sarah #StaySafe