WINGFIELD WALK CANCELLED
January 4th 2021 – Due to new lockdown restrictions we’ve CANCELLED this walk for the time being
As soon as we can, we will once again reschedule this circular 4.5m walk through footpaths, fields and bridleways, from the Poplars in Wingfield.
James at the Poplars has kindly agreed to allow us to park there, please use the front bays in their car park. We will start walking at 10am, bring coffee and a snack, but we should be back at the Poplars for around 12.30ish, so home for lunch.
COVID AWARENESS FOR KEEVIL WALKERS (once current restrictions ease)
- If you, or any member of your household , have COVID-19 symptoms, you should self-isolate in line with government guidelines. You should not take part in any activities with the Walking Group during this time.
- If you, or any member of your household, are clinically vulnerable, you should take extra care to minimise contact with others. Taking part in a walk could put you and those around you, at a higher risk.
- You do not have to feel obliged to join the walk just because you are a listed member of the Keevil Walkers.
- A full Risk Assessment will be posted to each walker outlining the walk and any problems it may have. Remember, paths can be slippery in wet weather, steep declines when muddy can be treacherous. Do not put yourself at risk if you feel you might have an accident which might lead to hospitalisation.
- Gloves or a sanitised cloth should be used to open gates and cross stiles.
- Due attention should be given to travel arrangements. No more than 2 people per car – both wearing masks, one driver, one back seat passenger, with windows open, unless you are from the same household.
- No sharing of food or drink if you are not members of the same household.
- A distance of 2 metres should be kept between walkers, especially at coffee breaks and picnics.
- Groups will be limited to 15 members.
COVID-19 UPDATE March 2020
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak is a rapidly changing situation, however, one thing remains clear the last few days: the importance of effective social distancing and the avoidance of crowds, groups or gatherings, especially for vulnerable adults. Here’s the Govt advice. And the Ramblers Association are currently advising against all group led walks until the end of May.
Like it or not, most of us fall into the vulnerable category, either because of our age, or underlying conditions, or both, so the advice should be taken seriously. Solo walks remain highly recommended, but in a group walk, when we naturally want to talk to each other, it will be hard for us to maintain the minimum 2 metres distance from one another. And anyone vulnerable shouldn’t be car-sharing.
With all this in mind, it has been decided along with Government and WHO advice to suspend all future walks until the pandemic has passed. We will keep the situation under review and post any further developments here.
FOLLOW THE BUZZ (enter your email address on the home page) to ensure you are notified of changes as soon as they happen
USEFUL FOOTPATH MAP SYSTEM
Click on an image to see it full size and scroll through the gallery
KEEVIL WALKERS ANNUAL MEETING 2020
It was agreed that the system of the walk leaders organising the walk, pub/meal choices and publicity in the village magazine and website was working well. The additional summer bimbles (walks of less mileage, firm underfoot and no stiles) had also proved popular, and would be led by Sarah Dow, Geoff West, Myra Link and Janet White this year.
BIMBLING NOTE: In 2019 we added some shorter summer walks to the usual schedule; we intended to continue this in 2020, however Covid-19 put paid to activities. These walks are aimed at those of us that find longer rambles and uneven terrain a bit more challenging now, but would still like to get out in the fresh air for a bimble with friends. They are no more than 3 miles, flat, on good tracks and paths, and without stiles. As always, we start and end at at a pub and will stop for a coffee break on the way, either in a cafe if available or bring a flask, ending up at the pub for lunch. There’s no rush, just steady bimbles to relax into and enjoy.
We will hopefully be able to get back to our walking schedule in 2021, and bimbles will definitely remain an addition to the regular schedule. If you have any ideas about where you would like to go, please let us know, and remember this is open to everybody, not just regular walkers. Geoff West 01380 870425 e-mail email@example.com, or Sarah Dow 01380 871729 firstname.lastname@example.org
RAMBLES, BIMBLES and walk leaders 2020-21 season
- MARCH – Cancelled due to COVID-19
- APRIL – Isobel Geddes – Salisbury Plain & Erlestoke Woods, Friday 24th April Cancelled due to COVID-19
- MAY – Ramble: Rachel and Tony Howe – Radstock, Wednesday 13th May Cancelled due to COVID-19
- MAY – Bimble: Geoff West – Harnham round, w/c 25th May Cancelled due to COVID-19
- JUNE – Ramble: Sarah Dow Cancelled due to COVID-19
- JUNE Bimble: Myra Link, w/c 22nd June Cancelled due to COVID-19
- JULY Ramble – Bob Ayres Cancelled due to COVID-19
- JULY Bimble – Janet White, w/c 27th July Cancelled due to COVID-19
- AUGUST – Pete Gardner Cancelled due to COVID-19
- SEPTEMBER Ramble – John Tucker Cancelled due to COVID-19
- SEPTEMBER Bimble – Sarah Dow, w/c 28th September Cancelled due to COVID-19
- OCTOBER – Colin Dimbylow Cancelled due to COVID-19
- NOVEMBER – Geoff West Cancelled due to COVID-19
- DECEMBER – Kathy Kinsey Cancelled due to COVID-19
- JANUARY 2021 – Paul Lenaerts Cancelled due to COVID-19
- FEBRUARY – Barbara Lewendon
- MARCH – Geoff West
- APRIL – Isobel Geddes
History of the Walking Group
Thanks to Ray Ward who started the group almost 10 years ago, and to he and David Bodman who have organised so many walks over the years.
We continue to meet once a month for walks which are always followed by a fabulous pub lunch. Walks vary, usually between 4 – 7 miles, and we pace ourselves to suit the slowest walker, with time to enjoy the views. New members are always welcome!
Full details published in the Village Magazine and here on the village website. For more information contact Tony and Rachel Howe on 01380 870661 or email email@example.com