COVID-19 – all bookings for the village hall suspended
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING 2021: Thursday 22nd April
If you wish to make a nomination or be nominated as an Elected member of the Management Committee or a Co-opted member of the committee, please advise the Secretary as soon as possible with the name of the nominee and the seconder. Village groups with a Representative Member for the Village Hall please also inform the Secretary who that member will be for the coming year. Any other matters you wish to raise regarding the Hall please also submit them to: Secretary: Mrs P Bartholomew, 49a Martins Road, Keevil firstname.lastname@example.org
There will not be a physical meeting this year but a Committee does need to be in place for the running of the Hall once things open up in the (hopefully) near future. The meeting usually consists of reports from the Treasurer and Chairman, and these can be circulated by email should anyone outside the Committee wish to see them after the meeting.
The present six Elected members are all willing to stand again, but should there be a need for an election it may need to be postponed until after the Hall lockdown. In the meantime the current members will assist with the running of the Hall. Any matters raised would also have to be postponed until a later meeting.
The last AGM held in the Hall was 25th April 2019 at 8pm. The 2020 meeting was not held due to Covid-19 and the first lockdown, although information was circulated by email.
At the 2018 Annual General Meeting of the Village Hall the six Elected Members of the Committee were returned and Ian Simpson remains our Chairman. Ex officio members are our Churchwardens Gillian Walden and Gill Gosling. Rodney Weaver retired and was thanked for all his help on the committee over many years. Representative members’ names were put forward. Rob Kevan, Elaine Weaver and Judy Jackson were co-opted to serve on the Committee.
About our village hall
Our village hall is in Martins Road, BA14 6NA, and is central to many village organisations and activities.
The main hall is 76 square metres, with a brand new floor (as of August 2018), a raised stage, small committee room (doubling as the Post Office on a Tuesday afternoon), plus fully fitted kitchen including full size cooker, commercial size hot cupboard, and crockery/cutlery to accommodate 76 people. There is also a hearing loop system.
The hall holds a Premises Licence for Recorded Music, Live Music, Facilities for Dancing and Performance of Dance as follows:-
- Monday to Saturday 9am to Midnight
- Sunday 9am to 22.30
Numbers are restricted under the licence as follows :-
- Dining 76
- Standing 152
- Dancing 108
- Dining and Dancing 69
The Village Hall does not hold a licence for the sale of alcohol.
IMPORTANT NOTE: CAR PARKING
The hall does not have it’s own car park, visitors should park safely on the road. Please have consideration for residents who live next to and behind the hall and do not block the access road or make it unsafe for residents to exit, or emergency vehicles to enter, by parking too close to the corners of the access road, inhibiting or restricting visibility. Do also note there are no designated Disabled bays anywhere in Martins Road.
Village hall waste is now classed as commercial waste and we have to pay for it’s collection. We use a company called Grist on an ‘on demand’ basis to keep costs down. Please note that recyclable items are NOT included, and must be taken home by users of the hall.
CLASSES: See here for regular classes such as yoga and pilates in the village hall
For more information, availability and details of hiring costs, please contact the Bookings Secretary Pat Tucker on 01380 871601 or email@example.com
History of the Hall
Kelly’s Directory (1895) shows that an iron hall was erected in 1892, by Col John W. Wallington, CB, JP for concerts, entertainment, etc. The 1903 Electoral Roll shows that Alice Julia Wallington and Augusta Frances Wallington were joint owners of the Institute.
The Annals of Keevil shows that a little distance (from Stocks Tree) stands the Institute, an iron room built through the exertions of Misses G. and A. Wallington, and of the greatest use as a Reading Room, a rendezvous for the Scouts, and for village meetings. Built in what was then known as Institute Road (after the Village Institute) off Martins Road. Keevil was given the old village hall, an iron and timber building, which was then second hand.
At a meeting in January 1933 Trustees and a Committee were appointed to run the Hall.
On 9 October 1962 Keevil Club and Institute was vested in the Official Custodian for Charities. (Now the Charity Commission, you can find their entry and list of Trustees here)
In March 1963 the old Hall was demolished as being ‘no longer in line with modern needs and wishes’. Mr James Banfield, a local farmer, gave some of his adjoining land to accommodate the new hall and the Brocklebank family gave a substantial donation for the building of the new Hall.
The present Hall was built at a cost of approximately £4,000 and opened on 28 September 1963.
In 2001 a Lottery grant was received for refurbishment of the Hall to include disabled access and toilets.