Welcome back to the BUZZ Roundup – a quick update of anything that’s changed on our village website recently and a reminder of what’s coming up.
It feels like a good time to remind ourselves what a valuable part our Neighbourhood Watch plays in our village community, championed by local co-ordinator Paul Lenaerts – more details over on our NHW page including links to the useful NHW E-Newsletter January 2020.
Also this week, Wiltshire Police Neighbourhood Alerts warned Wiltshire residents to be vigilant following a spate of distraction thefts in supermarket car parks. Community Messaging is a really useful service; Wiltshire Police is the main source of information but the system is also used by Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue, Wiltshire and Swindon Neighbourhood Watch, Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner, Gas Emergency Service and Action Fraud (the national centre for fraud and cybercrime). Find out more or sign up here.
- The Walking Group will be out again next Tuesday 25th February for an easy ramble around Berwick St James to Stapleford and up onto the Salisbury Plain, with lunch at The Boot Inn, Berwick St James. The following month on 24th March we will visit the charming village of Mells for a lovely circular ramble alongside the stream and old ironworks ruins in the Wadbury Valley to Great Elm, returning on the upper side of the valley on the East Mendip Way to lunch at the Talbot Inn.
- Our KEEVIL SINGERS have joined forces with Wiltshire Council Singers to present An Evening of Song and Laughter on 6th March 7.30pm in Edington Priory – a music-filled evening not to be missed…
- …followed by another unmissable event in the Keevil Calender, the ANNUAL BANGERS & MASH LUNCH is back on 7th March 12.30pm in the village hall, see page for ticket details.
- The 2020 Annual Outing of the Railway Heritage Group are planning to visit the Mid Hants Railway (Watercress Line) on 9th September this year – all details on the page, please register your interest as soon as possible so Rachel & Tony can work out if the trip is viable.
And do get your tickets booked for the Folk Night Evening with FAUSTUS on 18th April – we are very lucky to have this extraordinary trio playing in Keevil and tickets are flying out the door!
Nominated in the 2009 BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards, Faustus are three of the leading lights of their generation: Benji Kirkpatrick (Seth Lakeman Band, Bellowhead), Saul Rose (Waterson:Carthy, Whapweazel) and Paul Sartin (Bellowhead, Belshazzar’s Feast). They have a plethora of experience between them, brought together here in a virtuosic display of musicianship. Rooted deeply in the English tradition, in 2007 they received a 75th Anniversary Award from the English Folk Dance and Song Society.
Wiltshire Council continue to have problems with their Planning Portal, so if you have submitted letters of representation over the last few weeks it is likely they still cannot be seen on the portal, although we are assured they have been received.
Application 19/11844/FUL for development of the land behind 63 – 65 Martins Road was discussed at last Saturdays meeting of the Parish Council Planning Committee:
- Councillors responded Objection: special conditions – no objection to small single storey residential dwelling on this site. Reservations regarding design and appearance of modern looking property in conservation area, close to listed buildings. Do not feel that sufficient parking has been indicated.
- Planning aplication 19 11844 FUL (note this document was supplied after the original publication of this article, and includes ‘objection’ information not contained in the draft minutes, so this post has been updated);
- Planning-Committee- Draft Minutes- 15th Feb 20
Application 19/12129/FUL to development land next to Church Farm on Main Street was withdrawn before the meeting so was not discussed.
The deadline for applications for both vacancies on the Parish Council – one for the position of Councillor, one for the position of Parish Clerk, closes at midnight today 21st February. The position will be filled by co-option at the next meeting on 2nd March. Full details of both positions here.
That’s all for now, folks! Don’t forget you can get in touch with your own village news, pictures or suggestions any time.
Bob & Sarah