Welcome back to the BUZZ Roundup – keeping you in touch with village news and events in Keevil come rain or shine.
So let’s talk CAKE for a minute: it will not have escaped your notice that its time for that age-old bastion of village life, the CHURCH & VILLAGE FETE this Saturday (2pm in the grounds of the Manor), and a great deal of cake is needed otherwise we will never make it through the winter. Think of it as hay for hoomans 😉 Anyway, Helen and Penny are running the cake stall again and would be very grateful for anything your inner Mary Berry can muster, drop them off to Helen any time or bring them to the stall on the day, or she can collect, call 870194. Then there’s the teas and cake being served during the afternoon, they’ll also be glad of cupcakes and any other cake – contact Rachel, she can collect Saturday morning or bring to the fete around 1.30pm.
Also coming up...
- Bannerdown Gliding Club is hosting the Junior National Gliding Championships from 20th – 29th August, so you’ll see an increase in glider activity for the week. You can follow the progress of all the gliders, and find out more about gliding as a sport and the competition through the club.
- Cricket is one of the other hallmarks of village life, and the Keevil Cricket Club are back in action with a Sunday friendly vs Batcombe on 21st August at 2.30pm, and again the following Sunday 28th August at 11am vs Further Friars. Do come along, they are always looking for new players and open to anyone who wants to enjoy the simple fun of the game;
- Consultation for the Keevil Airfield Airspace Change Proposal remains open until 24th August, so there is still time to have your say – all responses are really important so that the Civil Aviation Authority can fully appreciate how the local community feels. Details and how to comment on the proposal are on the previous Buzz post and you can see comments that have given permission to be made public here.
- If you enjoy a stroll, a pub, and the company of others, then the Walking Group may have something right up your street – or perhaps footpath might be more on the mark 😉 On Wednesday 31st August Geoff is leading a super-easy little bimble along the river Avon from Saltford with lunch at The Crown, Saltford, and on Wednesday 14th September Sarah has planned a smashing little ramble in the rolling countryside of the eastern Mendip Hills between Norton St Philip and Faulkland – all walk deets on the page;
- There’s a Parish Council Meeting on Monday 5th September at 7.30pm in the village hall (I know I know, contain your excitement, lol);
- The 1st TUESDAY CLUB will be back in the hall with copious cups of tea or coffee plus – of course – cake, on Tuesday 6th September, don’t forget the Post Office is also open where you can pick up some of Laura’s lovely eggs;
- It’s time for the Wiltshire Air Ambulance Brew with the Crew on Wednesday 7th September 11am – 1pm – so do register and get over to support if you can, and no there is no such thing as too much cake, lol 😉
- Also on Wednesday 7th September both the ART GROUP (10am) and the CRAFT GROUP (2pm) will be back in the village hall;
- And the bacon will once more be sizzling when BREAKFAST IN CHURCH returns after its summer break on Saturday 10th September 9-11am at St Leonards.
Oh, and in case you were wondering – it being August and all – one of us (definitely not Bob, he’s all hands to the teapot these days) finally remembered to edit the FOLK NIGHT pictures from March – sorry folks, goldfish brain strikes again!
We are still looking for a permanent part-time Parish Clerk/RFO to support our team of councillors. If you have some hours to spare each week, are well-organised, and interested in parish life – even if you’re new to the village – take a look at the job specification here and contact Alex or Sarah for an informal chat.
That’s all for now folks – find us on Facebook for real-time discussions on Keevil Village, marketplace on For Sale, Free or Wanted in Keevil, or wander down memory lane on Keevil Memories… thank you for all your support, and if you have any news, pictures or stories to share, don’t hesitate to get in touch
Bob and Sarah #StaySafe 🙂