Welcome back to the BUZZ Roundup – a quick update of anything that’s changed on our village website recently and a reminder of events coming up soon.
Keevil Remembrance is just around the corner, with the Double Hills Memorial on Sunday 1st September, and the RAF Keevil Remembrance at Stocks Green on Saturday 7th September. Team Sapper‘s ride at Keevil on the 7th should be especially memorable this year because it’s ten days before the 75th Anniversary of Arnhem and the tragic glider crash at Paulton, soon after taking off from Keevil en route for the battle, which killed twenty-one sappers from 9 Field Company (Airborne) and the two glider pilots. It may also be the last time they ride as a team.
Team Sapper are also doing a swim on 14th September for Help for Heroes, which they’ve been supporting for ten years, do support them if you can, their Justgiving page is here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/teamsapper2019
Whilst on the subject of giving, two more notices for you:
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance are recycling CRISP PACKETS and receiving payment for doing so. Pat Tucker is quite happy to be the collecting point for Keevil, so save all your empty packets! As Pat says: “it becomes a habit just like all our other recycling. You can ring me to collect when you have a bagful, or just leave them by our front door”. Thanks Pat! Reach her on 01380 871601 or at 81a Main Street.
- The Trowbridge Talking News is a service, run by volunteers, which records the Wiltshire Times for those who have sight loss. The service is currently looking for volunteers to read and record the newspaper. The reading and recording is done in the reader’s home, and involves a commitment of around six occasions per year, and takes about two hours. If you would be interested in participating, please contact Janet Hopkins on 870417.
- The BIMBLERS will be strolling around Corsham Park on Tuesday 20th August. This will be a very gentle walk around the park and lake, with plenty of time for a visit to the lovely church and grounds, and a meander down the High Street before lunch at the Methuen Arms. Meet 10am in the Methuen’s car park. Please let Sarah Dow know by this Friday if you will be lunching as we need to pre-order: menus on the Walking Group page.
- Deadline for the September edition of the Parish News is next Thursday 22nd August, 5pm
- The Keevil Cricket team are back on the home ground on Saturday 24th August for a league match against Chippenham, and again on Sunday 25th when there’s an ALL DAY BBQ for the Keevil Premier League – 6 teams of 6 playing 6 over crash bash!
- Next Parish Council Meeting is Monday 2nd September at 7.30pm, so do come along, there should be some updates on activities of the newly-formed working groups.
As we’ve Buzzed before, Neighbourhood Alert provides community messaging for police forces, local authorities and Neighbourhood Watch. If you’re signed up, you’ll have noticed an increase in reports for Steeple Ashton recently. We are so lucky to live in such a safe area, nevertheless we should be mindful of home security, and watch out for our neighbours.
- 54190077369 – Criminal Damage – 06/08/2019 16:32
THE STRAND, STEEPLE ASHTON, Offenders have driven through locked gates onto farm land. Possible Coursing or poaching.
- 54190076340 – Criminal Damage – 03/08/2019 22:30
THE STRAND, STEEPLE ASHTON, In the evening of the 3rd Aug offenders have gained access to field and have caused damage to the fencing.
- Criminal Damage – 28/07/2019 09:32
SAND PITS LANE, STEEPLE ASHTON, following a report of poaching, the victim found fencing cut to his field which allowed the suspects access to it.
- Burglary – 25/07/2019 01:40
EDINGTON ROAD, STEEPLE ASHTON, suspects have cut a chain barrier and attempted to gain access to some caravans.
- 54190070626 – Criminal Damage – 19/07/2019 11:15
CHURCH STREET, STEEPLE ASHTON, Overnight on the 30th June a suspect has caused damage to a Brick pillar/wall entrance to a property by unknown means. Possibly a fail to stop/report RTC.
- 54190068722 – Theft – 14/07/2019 15:59
EDINGTON ROAD, STEEPLE ASHTON, Overnight on the 13th July offenders have gained entry to a compound by cutting through the fence. They have then removed the passenger side window from a van and stolen it along with the rubber seal. They have also stolen various components from the engine.
That’s all for now folks! Keep spreading the word with your family, friends and neighbours to FOLLOW THE BUZZ too!
Bob & Sarah