On 30th July, Wiltshire Council’s new contract with Hills Waste Solutions begins. This means that Wiltshire residents will be able to recycle more plastic materials in their blue bins from that date, including:
- Plastic pots, tubs and trays
- Drink and food cartons.
Effectively, this means that in addition to the current plastic bottles and cardboard, the new service will include yoghurt pots, plastic trays, margarine tubs, ice cream tubs and juice, milk and soup cartons.
Collections will still be fortnightly and collection days will not change. Residents will continue to use the same containers they already have. Additional recycling bins can be ordered if needed. An information bin hanger will be placed on every blue lidded bin on the final collection prior to the change detailing the new materials that can be collected from that date onwards.
Download a leaflet: Recycling_Leaflet-2P-Wiltshire-Good-to-Know-May-2018_v4a
Download a poster: Recycling_A4-Poster-Wiltshire-Good-to-Know-May-2018_v3b
Roadshows and events
Members of the Waste Services team are holding a series of roadshows and events across Wiltshire, where they will hand out information leaflets and answer any questions that may arise. Examples of the new plastic materials will be displayed along with samples of the product produced as a result of the recycling process. The remaining outline schedule is below (some dates/venues are still to be confirmed).
- Sunday 8th July – Warminster – Live music event /Inspire of Warminster
- Thursday 12th July – Bradford on Avon – Street market
- Thursday 12th July – Southern Area Board – Area Board Meeting
- Friday 13th July – Salisbury – Foodie Friday
- Saturday 14th July – Chippenham – Carnival Fun day
- Saturday 14th July – Trowbridge – Active Festival TT Council
- Sunday 15th July – Market Lavington – Vintage meet family fun day
- Thursday 19th July – Amesbury Area Board – Area Board Meeting
- Friday 20th July – Chippenham – Street Market
- Saturday 21st July – Salisbury – Street market
- Tuesday 24th July – Marlborough – Area Board Meeting
- Wednesday 25th July – Amesbury – Street market
- Saturday 28th July – Melksham – Carnival Fun day
Why are we making the changes?
Recycling saves energy and costs less. Recycling materials has less impact on the environment than burying them in landfill or burning them to generate energy so the more we can recycle, the better it is for the environment. In addition it tends to be more cost effective to recycle materials than to deliver them to energy from waste plants or to landfill them. Last year we sent just 20% of waste to landfill compared to more than
60% in 2007.
If you require any further information about the introduction of this new recycling service, or if you have any questions, please contact the officers below or go here on the Wiltshire Council website
- Tracy Carter, Director Waste and Environment, 01225 713258 Tracy.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vicki Harris, Principal Waste Services Officer, 01225 718523, Vicki.Harris@wiltshire.gov.ukNe