Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people to be careful about what they throw away during this hot, dry spell of weather.
Two recycling sites suffered significant fires yesterday (23 July) and, while the causes are unlikely to be established because of the scale of the incidents, the Service knows from experience that such blazes often start because of something that has been disposed of.
Area Manager Craig Baker said:
“We often see fires at recycling centres in the summer, as people get rid of disposable barbecues, used barbecue ashes and other high risk rubbish. Barbecues should always be completely cold before being thrown away and, ideally, the used coals should be drenched in water as well. Equally, where there is open land, we would urge people not to have camp fires and to be careful when disposing of cigarettes.”